An update comparison of the current (April 24th) BC Liberals, BC NDP and BC Greens election platform commitments regarding forestry are presented in Political forestry commitments-2017 election-update. Overall, the commitments are a major disappointment but the BC NDP and BC Greens have a few interesting suggestions. The BC Liberals have adopted a status quo approach. In summary:
The BC Liberals, BC NDP and BC Greens have identified:
- Market access as one of their priorities
- A desire to increase the Secondary (value-added) Wood Manufacturing Sector which would add to the economic diversity of communities
The long-term forest stewardship commitments vary between the Parties:
- The BC Liberals have made short-term commitments to long-term forest stewardship as reflected in initiatives introduced in the latter part of 2016 and early in 2017 prior to the election call plus a new commitment to addressing the bark beetle issue in the northern interior
- The BC NDP has only one specific commitment to long-term forest stewardship and that is reflected in expanding investments in reforestation
- The BC Greens have focused on changes to forest management infrastructure as part of generating sustainable long-term forest management but have not identified specific forest management actions.